Medellin is a valley surrounded by mountains, the best suburbs for retirement near Medellin are in the Oriente of the city, followed by the west side which is warmer.
Medellin sits at 1600 meters above sea level and that makes the weather just perfect.
there are “suburbs” that surround the city, here we are going to talk about zone areas.
- El Retiro.
This is a municipality that is just about one hour away from Medellín on what we call the second floor of Medellin, El Retiro is a bit cooler and more cottage-like.
Also, a good option, if you live on the second floor of Medellin you may never go down to the 1 st floor.
can be considered a suburb, but it is within the city, and it has access to the last 2 metro stations.
If what we consider suburbs is just between 40 to 60 minutes outside the city. Medellin is surrounded by them, and now that I came to think about it more in deep, Medellin has both warmer and colder than the metro area, you can go north, south, east, or west of the city to find a completely amazing little town.
What are suburbs in Medellin? you really got me thinking about this. Ok, let’s analyze this. are some of the zones in the metro area suburbs? the development of enclosed units can be found all over, some areas with more important villa development than others. is that what we can call suburbs? if that is the case, Oriente Antioqueño is the king, followed by Santa Fe de Antioquia.
The suburbs are in Medellin I guess what we call zonas Campestre because the houses can be bigger with green around them. I am very inclined to think that is the answer to that question and with that..the best would be.
- Envigado parte media and alta
- las palmas all the way to oriente
- South part of Medellin.
Do you have any questions? ask away
Medellin one of the best places to live when you retire
By the way that is not me saying that that are many many sites about retiring that are now talking and taking Medellin very seriously when it comes to retirement. Here we give you some reasons why it’s the new snowbird heaven (oh did I forget to mention I am Canadian, like the commercial)
Book Your Tour Here
The 4 Best Expat Neighborhoods In Medellin, Colombia
This is actually very easy for me to answer, so..here it is. The ex-pat community has 2 favorites, they are El Poblado and Laureles, with Envigado and Sabaneta following the list. Each of them has a completely different feeling.
- Laureles for example is an area in the lower part of Medellin, in the heart of the city with beautiful streets full of trees and restaurants, this zone is easy to walk or to ride a bicycle to move about it, you can easily ride a bicycle to Ciudad del Rio, or Parque del Poblado if you want it.
- Envigado is enchanting. this municipality has a very interesting history. The lower part by the Rio Medellin mixes industrial, commercial, and living spaces in a perfect blend. La Avenida Las Vegas moves slowly in Envigado, the trees that grow in this stretch of the avenue give the slow car drivers shade and also fruits like mangos, nisperos, and grosellas. Envigado has one of the biggest if not the biggest mall in Colombia, it also has many schools, and all the services, you will also have many things to do in Envigado no doubt.
- Poblado. The gringos love Poblado, it has all the services you want, Gyms, Restaurants, Lawyer services, Bars, and everything else you can think of.